The 2020 application for the Kuno Award for Applied Science is now open until August 31st. Apply here!
S&R FOUNDATION’S KUNO AWARD FOR APPLIED SCIENCE
S&R Foundation’s Kuno Award for Applied Science for the Social Good is a biennial award designed to support women social innovators using scientific research and principles to address a 21st Century problem. The award supports the translation of scientific research to a practical, real-world solution for those aiming to achieve measurable social impact.
The Kuno awardee is provided with $100,000 in funding. Indirect costs up to 10% are included in the $100,000 award amount.
Award recipients are visionaries with deep domain expertise in fields relating to the specific 21st century challenges addressed by their project or venture, which may become a for-profit business or non-profit organization, part of an academic institution etc.
As part of S&R Foundation’s mission to support talented individuals with great potential and high aspirations in the arts, sciences and social entrepreneurship, especially those furthering international cultural collaboration, S&R Foundation provides intervention and support to social entrepreneurs early in their formation. This may be through investment or grant funding.
1) Applicant must be at early or mid-career. Post-Doc, Assistant Professor or Associate Professor and possess a PhD and/or MD in a relevant field.
2) Project must be the original idea of the applicant or the applicant’s team.
3) Project must be in an early phase. To be considered, the project may be in the planning phase, or may have been in in progress for no more than two years. The project may not be already funded from an external source.
4) Applicants must devote at least 10% effort to the project during the funded period.
5) Projects led by two or more individuals (Co-Investigators or Co-Is) may apply. both Co-Is must meet all eligibility requirements and must each devote 10% effort to the project.
6) Applicant must be associated with a college, university or other type of educational institution described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and classified as a public charity under Section 509(a)(1).
7) Applicant must commit to Project Timeline as stated here:
November 1, 2020-October 31, 2021 – Year for the Project
May 1, 2021 – Project Interim Report Due
October 31, 2021 – Final Report Due
November 2021 – Final Report Presentation hosted by S&R Foundation – Date to be determined by S&R
Note: Project can take the form of scientific research, technical development or deployment as a for-profit or non-profit activity. The core mission must be to create impact for the social good and consistent to S&R Foundation’s charitable purpose.
May 22, 2020 -August 31, 2020: Application Period - APPLY HERE.
September 1-October 9, 2020: Selection Committee Review
October 9, 2020: Finalist Informed
October 16, 2020: Finalist Deadline to Confirm Acceptance
November 1, 2020: Kuno Award Winner Announced
November 1, 2020: Project Year Begins
November TBD: Awards Ceremony contingent upon COVID-19 guidelines released by WHO, CDC, etc.
Awardees will be selected by an independent selection committee.
Prospective applicants could come from a vast field of backgrounds as long as they have compelling ideas and are dedicated leaders. Proposals will be judged on the basis of the expertise and potential of the applicant; the potential of the project to have scalable and sustainable impact and the creativity of the approach to applying scientific research and knowledge to the advancement of social good.