S&R FOUNDATION’S KUNO AWARD FOR APPLIED SCIENCE
S&R Foundation’s Kuno Award for Applied Science for the social good is an annual $100,000 award designed to support social innovators using scientific research and principles to address 21st Century problems. The award supports those aiming to achieve measurable social impact through the translation of scientific research to a practical, real-world solution.
Award recipients are visionaries with deep domain expertise in fields relating to the specific 21st century challenges addressed by their project or venture, which may become a for-profit business or non-profit organization, part of an academic institution etc.
As part of S&R Foundation’s mission to support talented individuals with great potential and high aspirations in the arts, sciences and social entrepreneurship, especially those furthering international cultural collaboration, S&R Foundation provides intervention and support to social entrepreneurs early in their formation. This may be through investment, or grant funding.
1) Applicant must be at early or mid-career, and possess a PhD in a relevant field.
2) Project must be the original idea of the applicant or the applicant’s team.
3) Project must be in a start-up phase. To be considered a start-up, the project may not have been organized, or may have been in operation for up to, but no longer than, two years.
4) Applicants must commit 50% of their time (minimum twenty hours per week) to the project/organization's development for the duration of the year NOV 1, 2018-OCT 31, 2019.
5) Projects led by two individuals may apply. Both partners must meet all eligibility requirements and make a 50% time commitment of no fewer than twenty hours per week to the development of the venture.
6) Applicant must be associated with a college, university or other type of educational institution described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and classified as a public charity under Section 509(a)(1).
7) Applicant must commit to Project Timeline as stated here:
- November 1, 2018-October 31, 2019 – Year for the Project
- May 1, 2019 – Project Interim Report Due
- October 31, 2019 – Final Report Due
- November 2019 – Final Report Presentation hosted by S&R Foundation – Date to be determined by S&R
Note: Project can take the form of scientific research, for-profit, nonprofit, or undecided, as long as their core mission is to create impact for the social good and consistent to S&R Foundation’s charitable purpose.
- June 19-August 31, 2018: Application Period
- September 1-October 12, 2019: Internal Review
- October 12, 2019: Finalist Informed
- October 22, 2018: Finalist Deadline to Confirm Acceptance
- November 1, 2018: Kuno Award Winner Announced
- November 1, 2018: Project Year Begins
Awardees will be selected by the Board of Directors of S&R Foundation.
Prospective applicants could come from a vast field of backgrounds as long as they have compelling ideas and are dedicated leaders. They will be judged on entrepreneurial leadership, the scalable model of their ideas and/or ventures and the sustainable impact of their ideas and/or ventures.